Belvedere Square and its surrounding neighborhoods have a long and storied history. From Native American outpost to the modern Square of today, check out the history of Belvedere Square and Govans below!
Annual Belvedere in Bloom started.
Annual Chili Cookoff started with an Antique Car Show kick-off!
War Horse Cities acquires the Market and begins renovations.
Summer Sounds Started
Belvedere Square Reopens!
Belvedere Market opened and became a thriving center that housed a variety of offices, local retailers, and national chains.
The Hochschild Kohn Department, which now houses Lynne Brick’s and Loyola University, was complete at the corner of York & Belvedere.
The Senator Theatre, designed by architect John Jacob Zink, opened to the public.
1910 – 1940
Housing developments replace the great estates due to a change in the landscapes and economic base turning Govanstown into a commuter suburb. York Road becomes a broad, tree lined avenue with houses and stores clustered at Woodbourne and Coldspring.
The land became too valuable to farm and a new wave or development and construction overtakes Govans after the Stock Market Crash of 1929.
Greater Govans has grown to have 5 blacksmith shops, 2 carriage shops, numerous har, feed, and seed stores. The town’s largest industry was flower growing and Govanstown boasted almost a dozen nurseries.
With the rapid development of transportation, the Horse Car Railway is built to connect Govanstown to Baltimore and Towson.
Originally a trail made by Native Americans, York Road is used by farmers from Pennsylvania and Northern Maryland to bring grain and other agricultural goods to Baltimore.